The Summer heat is upon us. Although we love those long summer days outdoors, you need to protect your hair and skin. In South Africa, very hot and dry weather reaching temperatures of 40 degrees is not uncommon . The scorching heat takes a huge toll on your skin as well as your hair. Here are simple ways to protect your hair and skin from the summer heat.
How to protect your skin this summer
- Stay hydrated – Drink plenty of water. Keeping your body well hydrated will also keep your hair and skin hydrated from the inside out.
- Use a facial Mist – If you plan on spending a lot of time out in the hot sun, investing in a good facial mist can keep you cool all day. Try Asili Rose Water Mist. It’s an all natural, light, rose hydrosol which can be used on the most sensitive skin and the most fragile hair.
- Use a broad spectrum sunscreen – No matter your race or skin tone, South African summers require a good sunscreen. Invest in a broad spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30. Reapply it throughout the day.
- Wear colours that reflect light – White or lighter coloured, natural fibre clothing are best in hot weather. The colour white refracts light and natural fibres keep the body cool.
How to Protect Your Hair
- Wear a Hat or use an umbrella – You might not realise it, but your hair needs protection against the sun too. It can get really dry and brittle causing excessive breakage. When out and about in the hot sun, wearing a hat or using an umbrella will protect your hair.
- Wear Protective styles – A sassy weave or wig is a great way to protect your hair in summer. If weaves are not your thing, scarfs or anything that covers your hair is great. The material in direct contact with your hair should be silk or satin lined.
- Deep Condition more regularly – Even the healthiest hair requires extra hydration during summer. Invest in a good quality deep conditioner or add hot oil treatments to your wash day routine. Try Asili Hair Butter as a nourishing hot oil treatment for softer, more manageable hair this summer.